The Goodies name their favourite episodes (at least, of those released on DVD):
After watching the shows again, all agree their favourite episodes are Earthanasia and The End in which the three spend their time together in confinement and without their often wild film excerpts.
“Ironically they were brought about by the fact that we ran out of money at the end of each series,” Oddie says. “I actually think that some of those have stood up better than some of the film things.”
These are two of my favourite episodes, too, really bringing out Oddie and Garden’s superb dialogue-writing skills.
My favourite Goodies episodes (in no particular order):
- Earthanasia — “ha ha ha Your little faces!”
- The End — “Is he going into a monastery?” “No, into a lavatory.”
- the Lighthouse one — like the two above, pretty much a three men stuck in confinement story, with a bit of space travel thrown in.
- U-Friend or UFO — Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman, Doctor Who, they all get a look-in. “EBGB, how do you talk to aliens?” “Exterminate! Exterminate!”
- Radio Goodies (pictured) — I can never hear “Walk in the Black Forest” without thinking of it.
- String — such a wide-ranging parody of advertising I don’t think I’ve seen on any other comedy.
- The Cream Mine — that whole card game and sauce bottle fight at the end cracks me up. It brought the pointless argument over pronounciation of “scones” into popular culture.
- Saturday Night Grease — was particularly funny after I’d seen the movies that inspired it. Just about every classic musical ever made gets spoofed.
Yup, I’ll be buying the new DVD release. Like the first one, it’ll sell like cupcakes in Australia.
Somewhere, possibly retired now, there’s an ABC staff member or two who were responsible for scheduling The Goodies constantly through the 70s and 80s, embedding it deeply into the memories of most Gen-Xers.
Whoever you are, and wherever you are, I salute you.
- April 2000: The Kitten Kon convention — meeting Tim Brooke-Taylor
- The Goodies Rule OK — fan club, news
- Kay’s Goodies photos (which is where the above pic came from)
14 replies on “Goodies favourites”
You going to see the boys in their show?
Here Here to the Goodies!
One of my favourite episodes was the one where they clone all the Rolf Harris’s (..’and don’t the kids love ‘im”). That and: “String string string string, everybody loves string….”. hehehe!!
I wish I could see them while they are here. They just don’t make ’em like that any more.
Alas, I can’t make it on the night they’ll be in Melbourne.
Personal favourites are (in no particular order):
The Goodies – Almost Live
The Goodies Rule – OK!
U Friend or UFO
Kung Fu Kapers
Is this the tv series where one of the characters had a survuval suit with deep pockets? Or am I surpressing my memories of the 70’s and 80’s?
My favourites in no particular order:
Kung Fu Kapers
How I love the Goodies! I did love Kitten Kong – and I REALLY loved the episode with the boneless chicken. And ‘Don’t Cry for me Marge & Tina’.
When are they going to be in Melbourne?
Daniel writes about The Goodies better than I can – go and read it!…
And don’t forget Boy Scout Goodies (Tim Brooke Taylor was leader?), the Goodie Olympics and the ApartHeight show!
kung fu kapers was my favourite., totally envious if you’re going to the show…
hmm, something to suggest to hubby that i might like for my birthday ..
I hope they end up putting a lot of them onto DVD. When they were rerun briefly on the ABC in the early 90s, a certain person I know taped about 33 episodes. mmmmmm…
can someone please tell me which goodies episode has graham and tim in clockwork orange attire? I thought it was kungfu kapers but the recent version i saw didn’t contain it
It’s the moon rocket one “Invasion Of The Moon Creatures”, where Bill and Tim get captured by “Big Bunny” and get turned into rabbits. It’s not on any of the DVDs released so far.