Don’t panic

I’m trying not to panic, but I may have a fire hazard in my house.

Rewind a bit. Remember I was having power hassles? The more delicate and sensitive of my appliances playing up? Apart from the ever joyous misbehaviour of one of the computer monitors, there’s also my precious hi fi gear – both the receiver and DVD player have been rendered unusable.

Well today two guys from United Energy dropped around. They took one look at the switch/fuse box and uttered various exclamations about it being pretty much fried, needing immediate replacement, and by golly it could be a fire risk too.

As soon as they’d gone, I checked that the smoke alarm battery was raring to go, then called the landlady to demand that she fork out for a new one. She wasn’t home, so I demanded it of her answering machine instead. She’ll be delighted, given the way she constantly moans about repair costs. Especially the week after she paid for the kitchen fan to be replaced.

Oh well, it’ll make the impending rent increase more worthwhile. Maybe it’s just as well I hadn’t started to moan about the ripped carpet and the cracked window yet.

Anyway tonight the electrician came, took a look, and announced he’ll be back on Anzac Day to sort it out. So now I’m just hoping that everything that currently doesn’t work will resume correct operations on Thursday.

PS. Noted today: car from Deluxe Driving School. Must have been the instructor, as she was alone in the car, and the L plates weren’t being displayed. Driving down the road, yapping into a handheld mobile phone…

By Daniel Bowen

Transport blogger / campaigner and spokesperson for the Public Transport Users Association / professional geek.
Bunurong land, Melbourne, Australia.
Opinions on this blog are all mine.